top of page

Matthew Telford

Grimsby, South Humberside, England, UK

Army, SGT, 1st Btn The Grenadier Guards

11/3/2009, Afghanistan, Nad e-Ali district

Sergeant Matthew Telford was temporarily employed as a mentor to the Afghan National Police (ANP). As the Regimental Police Sergeant he was perfectly placed to work with such a team drawn from soldiers of the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards and the Royal Military Police. The team had been tasked with mentoring a number of members of the ANP at a checkpoint.

The Grenadier Guards Battle Group had identified the need for increased mentoring of the Afghan National Police within its area of operations. Sergeant Telford was part of a 16-man team who were sent to a police checkpoint of vital importance as it provided protection to the bazaar area of Nad e-Ali where the Battle Group Forward Operating Base is located.

Sergeant Telford was born in Grimsby on 10 October 1972. He passed out of the Guards Depot in February 1991 and was immediately posted to the 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards.

On amalgamation of the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Grenadier Guards in 1993, Sergeant Telford was transferred to the 1st Battalion where he served until 2004. In 2004 he was posted to Nijmegen Company, Grenadier Guards, where he served for two years before being detached as a regimental recruiter.

In early 2009 he returned to the battalion as the Regimental Police Sergeant. Sergeant Telford’s size, stature and presence were entirely in line with what you would expect of a Regimental Police Sergeant. However, what you found behind the mountain of a man was a thoughtful and caring family man who would work tirelessly all hours of the day to help someone out. He was professional and meticulous in everything that he did.

Sergeant Telford was a fantastically popular individual across the battalion. He was a definite battalion character and it was a pleasure for all his colleagues to have him back serving with the regiment.

Sergeant Telford was tragically killed as a result of gunshot wounds sustained in an attack at a police checkpoint in the Nad e-Ali district of Helmand province on Tuesday 3 November 2009. He leaves behind his beloved wife Kerry and two sons, Harry and Callum.

Sergeant Telford’s family said:

“Matt was a larger than life character – a gentle giant of a man. He will be sadly missed by his wife Kerry and sons Harry and Callum, his extensive family and friends, and his colleagues.”


bottom of page