top of page

Thomas D Rabjohn


U.S. Army


10/03/2009, AFGHANISTAN

On October 3, 2009, Army Staff Sergeant Thomas D. Rabjohn died of wounds sustained when an IED detonated during an attempt to disarm it. Staff Sergeant Rabjon was assigned to the 363rd Explosive Ordnance Detachment, Arizona National Guard, Coolidge, Arizona. His unit was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in Wardak province, Afghanistan. His unit deployed to Afghanistan in April 2009 after training at Fort Lewis, Washington earlier that year. The company’s mission was to eliminate explosive hazards and provide ordnance disposal support.

Thomas Rabjohn was a wonderful husband and father to his three daughters. He was proud of his performance and knowledge in his civilian job as part of the area’s police force and his military contributions to his Arizona National Guard unit. The thirty-nine year old non-commissioned officer was a native of Litchfield Park, and Phoenix, Arizona. It was well known that Staff Sergeant Rabjohn was doing what he loved.

Arizona’s Adjutant General of the Arizona National Guard commended Daniel on his dedicated service and contributions to both his National Guard unit and the Phoenix Police Department. Staff Sergeant Rabjohn had been a part of the Phoenix Police Department since September 2002. He had spent most of his adult life in public service to his home location and community, his state and his country.

Staff Sergeant Thomas D. Rabjohn was born on February 19, 1970 in Sierra Vista, Arizona. The well-decorated service member served in the United States Marine Corps as a Rifleman from 1989 to 1993 and entered the Arizona Army National Guard in 1996 serving with the 1st Battalion 180th Field Artillery in Mesa, Arizona as a Fire Direction Survey Chief. In May 2005 he was assigned to the 363rd EOD Company in Coolidge, Arizona. He completed EOD School in 2006 and was assigned as an EOD Team Member. In May 2008 he was selected as an EOD Team Leader. Known as “Tom” , he was a well-respected EOD Operator and Police Officer

While he operated in a very difficult and active battle space, his quiet compassionate professionalism served to develop not only those who served as his team members, but all those who served with him in the counter IED fight. He was a true professional.

Tom Rabjohn is survived by his wife, Nikki, and daughters Kylee, 14, Koree, 13, and Kelsee, 12 as well as many family members and friends.


bottom of page